Sunday 1 March 2015

A Fresh Coat of Original

I mentioned in my last post that as we replaced all the furniture in the hall, stairs and landing following the paintover, some pieces just didn't seem to work anymore.


Colourwise, they didn't work. They weren't terrible but they looked a little tired against the crisp new colour scheme. And so cream has been replaced by off-white. 
Does this make me crazy?

First up was this huge mirror and it was a mammoth task that involved the use of much frog tape.  I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Original followed by some clear wax. Most items got this treatment. Here is the before...


And here is the after...


You can see a difference right?

Next was the radiator cover, aka my entrance table/hall stand. This I painted Almost White like the rest of the woodwork. I'm not sure why, maybe because this piece feels more like the rest of the woodwork even though we treat it like a piece of furniture. 


A little shelf...


Granted, it still looks a little cream. Perhaps it should have got another coat!
These framed prints...


This frame was painted in ASCP Country Grey... 


Originally, it was a pale gold and the frame was dented and scratched. I got it from my sister who was throwing it away. I was never in love with it, it hung around the corner where no-one really saw it. I love it now, I think the Country Grey really brings out the picture. I didn't wax it as I like the chalky finish. It has been given pride of place at the top of the stairs. 

This was the last piece to get a freshen up...


It was originally stained a dark colour. 
It belonged to my grandparents and lived in their bedroom. 


About 10 or 12 years ago I painted it Jasmine White which had yellowed over the years. The stain coming through I think.


It was naturally distressed over the twelve years I have had it which I recreated before sealing with a coat of clear wax.


This chest used to live in our second bedroom but recently got upgraded to the landing. I knew exactly how I wanted to dress it. If you look carefully in this picture you will see I have moved onto styling, aka the fun bit!

Mother Nature decided to give everything a coat of white today too. Did I say it hardly ever snows in Ireland?


Follow on Bloglovin  

6 comments:

  1. Your landing is looking so beautiful. I am loving all the Re Loves you have done especially to the chest. You go girl it is looking awesome. Love that curved arched mirror. So gorgeous.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put me to shame. I really must get on with some of my (long overdue) painting projects.
    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. Big difference! That mirror is a gorgeous piece, and it looks so good where you have hung it. Love the reflections in the photo you took. I think you made the correct choice painting the radiator cover the same white as the woodwork. I don't know why, it just seems right. That little shelf is cute. Really like the style. I noticed the chest has vertical handles. Is that original to the chest? I only ask because we bought an antique chest a year ago with vertical handles, and I had never seen anything but horizontal handles on such chests in the past. I looked closely, but didn't see that the holes had been re-drilled, so I assume the vertical handles are original to the chest. I thought you might be able to enlighten me. I do like everything you've done very much. Hugs, Nancy P.S. I'd love to visit Ireland! Snow or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The white is looking good on your pieces. The curved mirror is a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey I love that mirror!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your mirror especially with the new paint colour - it's perfect with the walls.
    Annie Sloan paints are great - I've just painted an old dressing table in french grey and given it a new life.
    Thank you for your comment over at Kris's Saturday Spotlight!
    Prior to visiting France in June we are having 7 days in Ireland - I can't wait.
    My father was born in Limerick, so after hearing all about it for years I want to see it for myself!
    Following you now
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...